lunes, 20 de diciembre de 2010

String calculator kata

On Friday, Aimee suggested me that, in order to improve my English, I should write some of my blog entries in that language so, every now and then, I am going to write short entries in English :D

As I have told you before, I need to practice, practice and practice. The problem I have chosen to start with is the string calculator kata. For those of you who do not know this kata, it is a very simple problem. Someone gives you a string with numbers separated by a defined separator and you have to calculate the sum of that numbers. You can find the actual code-kata specification here.

This is not the first time I confront this problem, I already did it some months ago in Java. Now, I am doing it in Ruby and the code I am writing is much more precise than the one in Java. Ruby classes are more friendly than the Java ones (Manipulate Strings in java is a nightmare compared with Ruby), and everything seems simpler. I am not an expert in Ruby nor in Java, but I think Ruby is a much more friendly language to work with.

I will practice this kata every day until I feel ready to record a screencast so, Stay tuned!

Meanwhile, here is the kata done in scheme by Enrique :D

String Calculator Kata from Enrique Comba Riepenhausen on Vimeo.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario